Sunday, October 26, 2008

In Betweens...

To all my readers:

I thank you all for keeping up with my investigations and writing so far, and I apologize ahead of time for not updating the next one. Not to worry because I do have more, the investigations continue however, I can't seem to find the right space to just sit down and write at this moment. The creation of my work requires a lot of thinking and let alone space to just be myself, I have things happening right now in all different directions, it is what I call the "in betweens". Midterm week for all classes, and other responsibilities so I have my hands full right now. I end here....

till next time..
- jeanne

[update] FEELING THE BEAUTY OF TENSION

I am finally done with my first major midterm, another one to go in less than a week or so. Currently I have been trying to recover my sleep pattern again, it got knocked off after staying up all night almost every other day of the past three weeks. Mostly because of endless project deadlines, consistent pushing on an idea and of course my writing. I will begin my update with the Precis, the first official draft, from the many versions I have been writing up, and next I will introduce finally, the final thesis and the site proposal. I do not yet know what the "program" will be. I placed quotation marks on that term because I feel it is overly stated and direct in architecture. Yes, I agree that in architecture one cannot exist without a program, however you dont want to associate that term and design a generic building type either. One must invent, and therefore proceed. Program is about the experience of a being walking around, and by walk i dont mean just upright. there is a whole new opening to one who crawls, one who runs, there is beauty in tight spaces, beauty in cracks where a pinch of light penetrates through. In program there must be a story, a story of movement. That dynamic motion where one can sense the walls and corridors relate to each other as if they speak a unified language . A language no human ear can comprehend but what the human experience can feel as they experience and become the witness. Tension I discovered is not only in tectonics, where things pull or aggravate extremes. It is where one gesture interacts with others; a battle of heirarchy as one form or void attempts to dominate the other within a threshold. This tension is experientially beautiful.

No comments: